Follow us Like us
POLICIES - conduct policy
Adopted October 4, 2007
Welcome to the Palisades Park Public Library. The Library is supported by the taxes of the people of Palisades Park who expect our facility to be a clean, comfortable, and safe place for selecting materials, reading, researching, studying, writing, and attending programs and meetings. To this end, the Library is responsible for establishing rules of conduct to protect the rights and safety of Library patrons, volunteers, and staff, and for preserving and protecting the Library's materials, equipment, facilities, and grounds. In addition, the Library has a strong commitment to intellectual freedom and to freedom of access to information.
Enforcement of these rules will be conducted in a fair and reasonable matter. Library staff and/or Palisades Park Police Officers will intervene to stop prohibited activities and behaviors. Failure to comply with the Library's established rules, regulation, and policies could result in removal from the premises and exclusion from the Library for a period of one day to one year, or in arrest or prosecution.
For the comfort and safety of patrons, volunteers, and staff, and the protection of Library property, the following actions are examples of conduct not allowed on Library property:
- Engaging in any activity in violation of Federal, State, local or other applicable law, or Library policy.
- Failing to comply with a reasonable staff request.
- Carrying firearms and dangerous weapons of any type (unless authorized by law).
- Being under the influence of alcohol/illegal drugs, and selling, using, or possessing alcohol/illegal drugs.
- Verbally or physically threatening or harassing other patrons, volunteers, or staff, including stalking, staring, lurking, offensive touching, and obscene acts such as sex acts and indecent exposure.
- Soliciting or conducting surveys not authorized by the Library.
- Photographing or videotaping without prior permission of Library Administration and those photographed.
- Stealing, damaging, altering, or inappropriate use of Library property in Library facilities or on Library grounds, including computer hardware and software, printers (see the Palisades Park Public Library Internet Safety and Use Policy), copiers, phones and other equipment.
- Trespassing in nonpublic areas, being in the Library without permission of an authorized Library employee before or after Library operating hours.
- Fighting or challenging to fight, running, pushing, shoving, or throwing things.
- Creating disruptive noises such as loud talking, screaming, or banging on computer keyboards.
- Gambling and group activities which are disruptive to the Library environment.
- Using audible devices without headphones or with headphones set at a volume that disturbs others. Using cell phones, pagers, and other communication devices in areas other than those designated for such activity. Audible cell phone and pager ringers must be turned off.
- Using restrooms for bathing or shampooing, doing laundry, or changing clothes.
- Smoking, chewing, and other tobacco use on Library property.
- Entering or being in the Library barefoot, without a shirt, or being otherwise attired so as to be disruptive to the Library environment.
- Consuming food or beverages in any area other than the meeting room. Food and drink may only be consumed in the meeting room during scheduled programs/events.
- Leaving packages, backpacks, luggage, or any other personal items unattended. These unattended items are subject to immediate confiscation.
- using wheeled devices in Library property or on Library grounds, except in designated areas, including use of skateboards, roller-skates, bicycles, motorized or nonmotorized scooters, and shopping carts (except for motorized ADA assistive devices, wheelchairs, walkers, and strollers).
- Moving Library furniture from where it is placed by Library staff.
- Lying down or sleeping in the restrooms, or on any floor, or couch, table or sear in the Library; having feet on furniture; or blocking aisles, exits or entrances.
- Neglecting to provide proper supervision of children (see The Palisades Park Public Library Unattended Children Policy).
- Bringing pets or animals, other than service animals necessary for disabilities into the Library.
- Obstructing the entrance area of the library, either inside or outside the building.
- Obstructing aisles and passageways.
- Leaving bicycles unattended at the library entrance rather than in the bike rack down the sidewalk.
- Wearing no footwear or shirt.
- Engaging in sexual activity, contact or assault or any act of lewdness of exposure prohibited by New Jersey Statues Annotated 2C:14-1 through 2C:14-8 and any other sexual activity which is inappropriate in a public place.
- Engaging in any illegal activity not otherwise listed.